Playwright; Professor at the Department of Theater and Drama and in the Center for Jewish Studies at the University of Wisconsin–Madison from 1968 to 2008
Ida E. King Distinguished Scholar during Fall 2014
obert (Bob) Skloot retired in 2008 after 40 years of teaching, directing and administrating at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. His career has included serving as the Fulbright Professor in Israel (1980-81), Austria (F 1988), Chile (F 1995) and The Netherlands (S 2005), and as Fulbright Specialist in England (2013). He is the author and editor of many books and essays about the theatre of the Holocaust and genocide, including The Darkness we Carry: The Drama of the Holocaust (1998) and two volume anthology The Threatre of the Holocaust (1981;1999) and The Theatre of Genocide: Four Plays about Mass Murder in Rwanda, Bosnia, Cambodia, and Armenia (2008). Skloot was chosen for inclusion in Fifty Key Thinkers on the Holocaust and Genocide, ed. Bartrop and Jacobs (2011).
In retirement, Skloot continues to lecture throughout the United States and internationally on subjects that include: the Theatre of the Holocaust, the Theatre and Genocide, American Theatre and Drama, etc. Skloot’s play, If the Whole Body Dies: Raphael Lemkin and The Treaty Against Genocide (2006) has been read around the U.S. and internationally (Sarajevo, The Hague), in Spanish (Aunque Todo El Cuerpo Muera…) in Cuba and Peru, and in Hebrew (Eem Ha-Guf Koo-Lo Met…) in Israel in Spring, 2015. Polish and German translations have been completed; a Dutch translation is in preparation. The play’s website is at: www.ifthewholebodydies.com. In the fall, 2014, Skloot served as the Ida E. King Professor of Holocaust and Genocide Studies at Richard Stockton University.
1968: Ph.D., University of Minnesota
1965: M.A.,Cornell University
1963: A.B., Union College (N.Y.)
Areas of Expertise:
Theatre, Literature, Holocaust Studies, Threatre of Holocaust/Genocide, American Theatre, Drama
- The Threatre of the Holocaust, Volume 1 – (University of Wisconsin Press, 1983, 1999)
- The Threatre of the Holocaust, Volume 2 – (University of Wisconsin Press, 1999)
- The Darkness we Carry: The Drama of the Holocaust (University of Wisconsin Press, 1999)
- If the Whole Body Dies: Raphael Lemkin and The Treaty Against Genocide (Parallel Press, 2006)
- The Theatre of Genocide: Four Plays about Mass Murder in Rwanda, Bosnia, Cambodia, and Armenia (University of Wisconsin Press, 2008)
- To read more about Skloot’s articles, awards, etc. please click here